Using the WordPress Base Theme
To use the Mizzou WordPress Base theme, the following steps must be followed:
- The website must conform to the Digital Service standards for cloud hosted websites:
- Repository is created and maintained on https://vcs.missouri.edu
- Lando is installed and functioning properly
- The MizzouMVC plugin is added as a dependency in the composer.json file
- Platform.sh account is set up and ready
- WordPress is installed via the Digital Service WordPress upstream for Platform.sh.
- Do not edit the Base theme itself if you need to customize it since updates to the Design System will overwrite customizations you may make. Instead, you will need to use a child theme to extend and customize for your website’s requirements (Digital Service is providing a child theme repository that should be forked and used in your website). In the child theme, if UI components are not available to meet your needs, you may use Bootstrap and Twig to create custom components. If you do so, please notify Digital Service so we may consider incorporating those components into the core Mizzou Design System.
Update the Mizzou WordPress Base Theme Settings
All of the settings below are in the WordPress Dashboard, Appearance, All Theme Settings menu:
- Search – make sure ‘gsce’ is set to ‘on’ and set ‘google_cse_id’ to your Custom Search Engine ID.
- Site Wide – update the ‘*google_tag_manager*‘ value.
At this point, you are ready to start adding pages and menus for your website. Updating the MizzouMVC and Mizzou Base Theme are accomplished via the Platform.sh WordPress workflow.